Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Beast of Boggy Creek ~Lyle Blackburn {Book Review}

A while back I met an Author speaking at an Event that caught my attention.  Both the author in his rugged appearance and the legend that he had written about.  For years I had heard stories of this elusive creature, and as we all know researching via the internet can be a headache at times trying to find legit sources among all the misinformation that plague many websites.

I sat and listened to him speak to visitors at the charity event, listened to his lecture with my full undivided attention.  Then I picked his brain for a time as I was seeking guests for a radio program that was on at that time called Haunted Voices Radio, as the show covered all sorts of topics in the Paranormal Field.

I grabbed a copy of his book, and Mr. Blackburn was even gracious enough to sign it for me.  Lyle Blackburn is a down to earth researcher and a damn good writer.



He's written for Rue Morgue Magazine as well as Monstro Bizzaro.  I decided that I would sit down with his book and try to force my way though it like I have done so many in the past.  The days of self publishing.........aren't all that great at times.

Well after about 5 pages into The Beast of Boggy Creek...I was hooked, and could not put this thing down.  Every spare moment I had I was going through the pages,  rereading events even, based on the detail he put into it.  I was completely done with this book, all 258 pages in just 2 days.  A feat for me to say the least based on my busy schedule.

So what is the Fouke Monster you ask.  Lyles attention to detail, chronicled encounters, discussions of the different theories are unlike any other paranormal and cryptzoological book I have ever had in my hands.

From the Back Cover.
For more than a century, reports of a strange beast known as the Fouke Monster have circulated among the locals in southern Arkansas. Described as a large, hairy man-like creature, it's said to haunt the vast Sulphur River Bottoms as it travels the secluded waterway known as Boggy Creek.

Over the years, the creature has been seen by numerous witnesses including respected citizens, experienced hunters, famous musicians, and even a police officer. The encounters were often so shocking, they served as inspiration for the classic horror film, The Legend of Boggy Creek, by Charles B. Pierce.

Tales of the creature have long existed in scattered pieces across news clippings, memoirs, police reports, and movies, but it is only now that the complete history of the Fouke Monster has been assembled in one place. This book collects all the facts, theories, and amazing sighting reports, and weaves them into a fascinating tale about this undeniable southern mystery, one that lives on, as frightening encounters with the Beast of Boggy Creek are still being reported today!

** Includes a detailed sighting chronicle with over 70 visual encounters near Fouke, Arkansas!


This book is a Must READ!!!!!  You will not be disappointed.  And he just released another book (that I will be reviewing very soon, and I understand he has others in the works.)  This is a book you will not be able to put down.

Click here to visit Lyle's Site and Purchase this great read, and his other items of interests.

Article is by Jason Mansfield: Anomalous Environmental Studies Analyst™ with Paranormal Studies of Arkansas found at www.hauntedarkansas.net, Voice Over Artist, Film maker at Binary Entertainment www.binaryentertainment.com, Folklorist, Horror Enthusiast, Writer, Squatchologist™ & Legend Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment